Fullmetal Alchemist
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ranks And The Like

3 posters

Go down

Ranks And The Like Empty Ranks And The Like

Post by Killer9win12 Mon May 13, 2013 12:20 pm

Would it be possible to standardize Ranks a little more than they are now? Currently you must only have the required amount of experience before you can - by yourself, I assume? - refer to yourself as that specific title, be it Military or State Alchemist.

Is the Experience (the system) really what should determine what rank a character holds? In the Military, I am more of the opinion a higher rank would appoint you to a specific rank based on how your characters are acting and what they're capable of both combat wise and otherwise.

Killer9win12

Back to top Go down

Ranks And The Like Empty Re: Ranks And The Like

Post by Killer9win12 Sat May 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Is this going to get zero feedback or acquire any discussion?

Killer9win12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kisuke T. Bloodedge Sat May 18, 2013 2:41 pm

unfortunately, this site is going down...i don't even know why V.V (other than that i haven't RP in a while)

but to answer you question(s):

what do you mean by 'standardizing ranks'?

and about the EXP system, well, I myself think there should be more to getting rank up, but if it's too hard (not saying upping the requirements would make it harder) then people would get bored and quit

so, do you have a new idea for ranking system?
Kisuke T. Bloodedge
Kisuke T. Bloodedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer9win12 Sat May 18, 2013 5:03 pm

Yes, plenty of new ideas. I'll respond in order, though.

The site is going down? In terms of inactivity, or is there a plan to literally shut it down? Hopefully not the latter...

By Standardizing Ranks, I mean something more complex than one simply earning the amount of Experience the Rank, "requires," and instead doing it completely through RolePlay. Experience will determine your character's fighting capabilities, but it would be completely up to the character in question to do whatever they have to - in character - to rank up.

The Experience System, in my opinion, is very lenient. The rules in the experience topic state that in a topic, you must have an equal share of posting as the other people involved. Ordinarily, this does make sense and is fair, though it doesn't take into account how a character actually develops. In my opinion, if I'm in a topic with 10 posts and 3 people, and I only have 2 posts, depending on the circumstances... I can gain more experience than them, even if I haven't physically or mentally been taxed in various different ways. It's very circumstantial.

Additionally, giving experience based off of how many posts a topic has is completely and entirely disregarding the development of a character.

Alright, maybe that statement is a little strong and I was in fact exaggerating. Though it's always a bad idea to standardize things based off of Post Count or Word Count or anything. It needs to be an organic type system where you actually look at, read and take in everything that happened in that topic and with a fine toothed comb, comb through it and from there decide who gets how much experience.

That being said, I feel it's completely natural to create more ranks. I have a very, very choppy suggestion.

X - Between 0 and 100 Experience
F - Between 101 and 300 Experience
D - Between 301 and 500 Experience
C - Between 501 and 800 Experience
B - Between 801 and 1,250 Experience
A - Between 1,251 and 1,750 Experience
Z - Between 1,751 and 2,250 Experience
S - Between 2,251 and 2,500 Experience
--For every 50 words a player writes, they gain 1 Experience Automatically. Experience can be gained through RolePlay after a topic is complete. Additionally, after a topic is complete, a player may send it in to be graded where it can be awarded between 0 and 150 Experience Points in addition to the total they gained through word count.

It's not too different, but it puts more emphasis on content rather than quantity. With an emphasis on content, you also bring an emphasis on both development and quality, which force players to think about their characters on deeper levels and put them in situations in which they will grow from instead of the same old same old whateveritisthattheydo which would never contribute to any form of change.

I'm on plenty of sites with similar systems to that. It sounds, initially, harder than it actually is, trust me. If you're willing to do some mock tests of it for me to prove it to you - or anyone, for that matter - I'm more than game :)

As for ranks, this is simple. Make ranks important. Approve people for more than simply, "Novice," from the start, but make sure it's not handed out like candy. Give people some leadership positions and some control over the politics of the world this game takes place in and allow the commanding officers to organize their groups how they see fit. If I'm a Major, I'll have a Lieutenant of my choice. You're not going to be a Lieutenant unless you're chosen to be one by a higher ranked officer.

Killer9win12

Back to top Go down

Post by Webmaster Marcus Sun May 19, 2013 9:07 am

You have some good ideas. Would you like to become a part of the staff team to work out a guide for your system in the staff section?
Webmaster Marcus
Webmaster Marcus

https://fma-rpg.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Killer9win12 Sun May 19, 2013 11:40 am

That's something I feel I'd enjoy. I, however, wouldn't feel comfortable doing so until this idea is finished. I'd like to prove I'm reliable and capable of being on the team before I worm my way up there :)

Killer9win12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kisuke T. Bloodedge Sun May 19, 2013 1:56 pm

I think you seem reliable and capable seeing as you've already done all this to better the site

vote +1
Kisuke T. Bloodedge
Kisuke T. Bloodedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down